"Smartphones: A pocket-size farce" A new comedy by Emilio Williams opening July 19th, 2012 at Trap Door Theatre (Chicago)

Monday, June 25, 2012

We’ve got a monster!


Last night we did a whole run-through of the show we’re building. The actors are practically off book and the general blocking has been staged. 

I said: “We’ve got a monster!”

Now we have to make the monster pretty: polish those edges, dress him up, put some make up on him  and bring all the elements of the production together, getting the monster ready for graduation day. (July 19th)

Still, too early to know what the final product will be… but I’m feeling great about the process! And that is all I can do today.

The team is working amazingly well together. We’re committed to make this a happy and fun process for all involved. Sometimes in theater, especially in the alternative scene, artists have a sense that true art can only come from suffering, pain and personal drama.

I have always fought that misconception.  I believe actors are so abused in drama school, and by toxic directors that when they encounter encouraging, positive directors they may feel that maybe they’re not working hard enough. Sometimes people act as if they would think that making theater should not be fun. And that backstage drama and personal fights are just a part of the creative equation.

I refuse to accept all that.

The kind of comedy I’m interested in building right now, high farce & ridiculous theater, requires a level of playfulness that we can only achieve by having an absolute blast with the material and with each other. And I am. This time around, I am. And I love my playmates.

Otherwise, what is the point?

If I wanted to be unhappy, I would have chosen a profession that was, at least, better paid.

Emilio Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment